May 23rd from 6:30-9:00pm the first Sacramento Ruby User Group Meeting was held at the Invision Design and Development offices in Old Sacramento. In attendance:
- Ryan – a full time Rails developer with Invision.
- Layton – a Rails developer.
- Tom Mornini – CTO of EngineYard.
- Ed Gibbs – author of this blog.
No planned agenda. No sponsored pizza and snacks. No presentations. Plenty of good conversation. I got in a little late, but the group had been discussing Rails Conf 2007. All of them were able to attend, though Tom went as a vendor so he didn’t really get to attend sessions.
The topics ranged from Django versus Rails to virtual hosting. Tom shared a few items about EngineYard, our local successful Rails startup:
- He recently hired Evan Phoenix of the Rubinius project to create a pure Ruby interpreter for Ruby.
- Ezra Zygmuntowic is moving down to the Sacramento area in the next month or so, which will help build up the local community.
- Using Xen virtualization has worked really well for them.
I’m looking forward to the next meeting.