I came across a note of mine from last year on my baseline expectations for developers:
- All code is checked into source control on an hourly basis or at most daily.
- Every project has an automated build. (Maven, Ant)
- All projects are setup in continuous integration (Hudson)
- All code follows the current Java/Groovy coding standards.
- Unit test coverage of new code must meet a 70% target. TDD is preferred.
- Code reviews or regular pair programming are required.
- Code should meet a standard of low cyclomatic complexity through refactoring and design.
- Some level of functional, integration, and acceptance tests should be performed.
- High value documentation is maintained.